Thursday, April 16, 2020

Seriously Delicious Raspberry Ricotta Cake (or rhubarb)



Seriously Delicious Raspberry Ricotta Cake 

Bon Appetit's cake is rated over 1000 times with a 4 1/2 stars and a whopping 97% said "I'd make it again" so I had to try it.  Kendall had brought me some homemade ricotta and I didn't want it to go to waste and I had some rhubarb that I wanted to use so I put the two together and I am obsessed with making it again!  Add me to the list.  It's more of an European coffee cake texture and not overly sweet, just perfectly sweet.  I hope this encourages you to try making this cake and use any kind of fruit you like.
I also added a crunchy nut topping for good measure.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups ricotta
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries or 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick spray.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.

Whisk eggs, ricotta, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth then fold in the butter. Fold into the dry ingredients just until blended followed by the raspberries or other fruit, taking care not to crush the berries. Scrape batter into prepared pan and put additional berries on top if you would like or add;

Crunchy Topping.  Melt 2 tablespoons butter add 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup chopped pecans and 2 tablespoons flour together and sprinkle on top of cake before baking.

Bake for 50 minutes, check to see if its done and probably bake 10-15 minutes more.  This cake looks brown at 50 minutes but it needs to be a little dryer, because the fruit is moist, before you take it out of the oven so it doesn't fall. 

Serve warm or cold, it doesn't matter because it still tastes delicious!



No comments:

Blog Archive